Recipe Down Below…
Have you ever thought about all the different ways you can cook potatoes? Well, it’s a thought that crosses my mind quite often! I mean think about it… you have the most popular ways, like baked potatoes and French fries. Then you have the staples like tater tots, hash browns, or potato salad. Not to mention the fancy ways such as gnocchi. The possibilities are endless! Well technically according to google, the possibilities stop at 63, but honestly who’s counting! All of this to say, potatoes are super versatile and perfect for almost every occasion. That’s where these Loaded Smashed Potatoes come in!
What is a Smashed Potato?
Basically a smashed potato is a potato that has been smashed! (Pretty self explanatory) This allows the potato to be crispy on the outside, while still being soft on the inside! It’s a win-win!
How to “Smash”
Ok you might be wondering… “How do I smash my potatoes?” Well, it’s simple. Once your potatoes are boiled, place them onto a lined baking tray. Next, use any kitchen tool, I personally used a small mason jar, to press down until they are about as flat as they will go without coming apart! A wine glass, mason jar, large spoon, or even your hands will work for this also! The whole idea is to press down while they are still warm, thus cracking the skin, which will give them their crispy edges while in the oven.
Now let’s talk…
Since these are loaded, I added cheese, sour cream, bacon, and chives on top! All the fixins for a perfect baked potato, but feel free to experiment with your favorite toppings.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Servings: 6 people (around 5 potatoes each)
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 45-60 min
- 1.5 lb Baby Red Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Shredded American Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- Sour Cream
- Bacon Bits
- Mason Jar (other options listed up above)
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook your potatoes for 12-15 min.
- Once fully cooked (tips down below) , drain them and place on a lined baking sheet.
- With a bit of pressure, flatten the tops of your potatoes with the bottom of your mason jar (or other item) until almost flat. (The flatter they are, the crispier they will be.)
- Drizzle your melted butter on top of the potatoes and then add your spices on top.
- Bake in the oven for around 15-20 min until golden and crispy!
For loaded keep reading…
7. Take your potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle on your cheese.
8. Bake for another 2-3 min or until the cheese is fully melted.
9. Take out of the oven and let cool.
10. Add your toppings! I added a dollop of sour cream, chopped chives, and bacon bits to each one.
Pro Tip: The potatoes are fully cooked once you can easily poke a fork into them, and it come out.